Smokefree Tangata Beats is made up of many parts in order to find our overall national winning acts.
STAGE ONE - ENTER
Easy really, click any of the “Enter” buttons on this site and carefully follow the instructions through the online entry form; you have to be in to win! You will need to select your category, Band or Solo/duo, what your region is, and enter the contact details of the acts members (so have those handy).
Here you will also have to select whether you are participating in Smokefree Tangata Beats, Smokefreerockquest, or both! Many acts have gone on to great success competing in both competitions, including Alien Weaponry and Mit Eldnar - who won both competitions!
For Smokefree Tangata Beats - participants must incorporate Te Reo Māori or a Pasifika language, instruments, dance or movement in their overall performance. Check out the 'SFTB Kaupapa' info in the section below in How It Works for more info.
You can enter in a band and a solo-duo (although please note that if you’re entering in both categories, your solo-duo entry will need to be in the ‘online’ region). You cannot enter multiple in solo-duo acts or multiple bands - just one of each.
In previous years of Smokefree Tangata Beats we have judged the bands and solo-duos together, but this year they will be judged seperately. In this way - there will be a 1st place winning regional band AND a solo-duo, rather than just one overall!
If you have any questions about your eligibility after reading the Terms and Conditions (link here), flick us an email to email@example.com
Entries close on 3rd May.
STAGE TWO - REGIONAL EVENT
Your region will have a regional event. You must compete in your own region. Your event will be held alongside the Smokefreerockquest event, unless you're based in Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland (where you will have your own heat and final events separately to the SFRQ events).
At this event your act will perform 1 song/ 4 minutes. After watching the acts perform, the judges will select the winning Smokefree Tangata Beats acts (solo-duo abd band) for the region. The winning regional act is then invited to submit a video submission for National Finalist selection.
STAGE THREE - VIDEO SUBMISSION
The winning acts in each region is invited to submit a video submission of 2 songs/ 7 minutes for selection to the National Final.
You can perform the same song as you performed at your regional event, if you want.
Each act will have 3 weeks to get their video prepared and uploaded to our website following their regional event. These video submissions will be used alongside your live performance in judging. A Top 20 from around the motu will be announced, followed a little later by a national finalist (top 10) announcement.
STAGE FOUR - NATIONAL FINALISTS & NATIONAL FINALS
The Top 10 will perform in Tāmaki Makaurau - Auckland in September. This will be held with a live audience, and also live streamed so people can join us from throughout Aotearoa and beyond.
The acts chosen to perform at the National Final will have 8 minutes (two songs). This is the time to really give it your all. Along with the wicked prizes up for grabs, the pride of being crowned a National Winner in reach.
This competition is about supporting and promoting our unique identity in Aotearoa, our Tangata Whenua, and the amazing Pasifika cultures present in our beautiful country.
Through Smokefree Tangata Beats we want to explore the ways these identities and cultures can be expressed through contemporary music. In this way - we ask entrants to incorporate these 'cultural criteria' (listed below) into their performance.
Your song or performance must feature at least one of the four possible cultural elements listed below. We strongly encourage you to have more than one, but one is the requirement for entry.
LANGUAGE – Lyrics in Te Reo Māori, and/or a Pacific language.
SOUND – Featuring traditional instrumentation from Aotearoa and the Pacific e.g. Taonga pūoro, pātē (drums), ukulele, conch etc.
ACTION – Enhance your performance with traditional movement, dance and/or action from Aotearoa and the Pacific e.g. haka, poi, siva, hula, bhangra, etc.
IDENTITY – The themes of your performance (lyrics etc) reflect Māori and/or Pacific culture.
At the event we will ask you to write a short paragraph about the elements you have chosen - telling us what they are and how you have chosen to incorporate them. This is to help the judges understand your process.
BANDS + SOLO/DUOS
There are two categories within Smokefree Tangata Beats. These are Band + Solo/Duo. Bands compete against bands, solo-duos compete against solo-duos.
There are winners and prizes in both categories!
If your SFRQ entry has three (3) or more performers, you must enter the 'band' Category
Solos / Duos
Solo – If your SFRQ entry has only one (1) performer, you must enter the 'solo/duo' category.
Duo – If your SFRQ entry has two performers, you must enter the 'solo/duo' category unless one of the performers plays a drum kit, in which case you are to enter as a band.
If you have any questions - give Sam at firstname.lastname@example.org an email outlining how you'd like to enter and she will let you know what you need to do.
At your regional event - there is the ‘1st place Smokefree Tangata Beats Award’ up for grabs.
At the 2023 National Final we will award: 1st place - $3k of musical equipment from the Rockshop, plus an $8k NZ On Air Recording and Video Grant,
and promotion, mentoring and on-going support from the Rockquest Promotions team
2nd place - $1500 of musical equipment from the Rockshop, and a song professionally recorded
3rd place - $500 of musical equipment from the Rockshop
Solo/duo award - $1k of musical equipment from the Rockshop
Musicianship Award - $500 cash
Smokefree Mana Wahine Award - $500 cash
NZ Music Commission Best Song Award - $500 cash
Smokefree Best Vocals Award - $500 cash
Te Reo Award - $500 cash
Smokefreerockquest and Smokefree Tangata Beats Terms and Conditions 2024
1. All contestants must be enrolled in and attend a school for at least 15 hours a week. If you leave school (sign out) during the course of the competition, you become ineligible to continue. You can change schools during the competition. (School means secondary, area, intermediate, primary, official home or correspondence school.)
2. All contestants must be no older than 19 (nineteen) years of age on 3rd May 2024, i.e. you are not eligible if you turn 20 years old before the entry's close date (you may be asked to supply proof of eligibility).
3. Smokefreerockquest and Smokefree Tangata Beats are only for unsigned acts and individuals. You cannot enter if you have signed a recording or management contract and cannot sign during the competition without the prior written approval of Rockquest Promotions Ltd.
4a. No student can enter more than one Smokefreerockquest band OR more than one Solo-duo. (You can enter a Band AND a Solo/duo if the Solo/duo is entered in the Online Solo/duo Region).
4b. No student can enter more than one Smokefree Tangata Beats band OR more than one Solo-duo. (You can enter in a Band AND a Solo/duo if the Solo/duo is submitted by video for the Online Region.)
5. Students can't enter into a category (Solo/Duo OR band) they have already received National 1st place at a previous Smokefreerockquest or Smokefree Tangata Beats National Final.
6. Bands must compete in the region their school is closest to. Where a band represents multiple schools, it must compete in the region closest to the school the majority of members attend. If you need help determining which region to enter, please contact us.
7. Solo/duo entries must compete in the closest region to a school their act represents. All SFRQ Solo/duo entries in the greater Auckland area must compete in the Auckland Solo/duo Region.
8. Online (video submission) Band Region. Any band can elect to compete via this region or change to it at any time before their first performance, where one or more performers are unwell, at higher risk, or subject to self-isolation after a COVID test.
9. Bands and Solo/duos will not be allowed to compete in an incorrect region or in more than one region.
10. If you are entered in a band and also enter as a Solo/duo, the Solo/duo entry must compete in the Online Solo/duo Region. Any Solo/duo can elect to enter the Online Solo/duo Region.
11. Smokefree supports Smokefreerockquest and Smokefree Tangata Beats to allow emerging musicians to play their songs to crowds throughout the country. Because you are the essence of these events, we ask that you respect their smokefree status. Band names, song lyrics and titles, and clothing cannot contain references to or depictions of smoking, e-cigarette, vaping, or tobacco products. By entering this competition, all entrants declare their smoke-free and vape-free status in connection with the event and will be required to sign the following declaration at the events and with their Video Submissions. “As an entrant, I understand that for interviews, Regional and National Submissions and events, press conferences, and Webisodes or radio appearances, it is a requirement for me to be smokefree. If I, or any of my group members, fail to comply with this declaration, it will result in the group's immediate exclusion from all parts of this event.”
12. The use or possession of alcohol, cigarettes, illegal drugs, or vaping by any group member at any Smokefreerockquest/Smokefree Tangata Beats event or in any Video Submission will result in the instant disqualification of their entire group.
13. You represent your school in all aspects of Smokefreerockquest and Smokefree Tangata Beats. Therefore, you must adhere to your school's policies regarding behaviour. If in doubt, seek the guidance of your teachers.
14. Any entrant defacing or destroying Smokefreerockquest/Smokefree Tangata Beats property or property/venues used by Smokefreerockquest/Smokefree Tangata Beats will be disqualified and held accountable for damages. This includes P.A. equipment, recording studios, regional final venues, accommodation venues, and any place used for photo shoots or interviews, e.g. radio stations.
15. Smokefreerockquest and Smokefree Tangata Beats do not condone censorship. We support the NZ music industry and urge entrants to consider the commercial potential of the material they write. While not wanting to put constraints on the creative process of songwriters, we would like to point out that sexually explicit lyrics or lyrics that may offend may not have commercial potential and may not suit these competitions. Judges for this event are drawn from the NZ music industry. Entrants are urged to consider this point carefully
16. All acts will be required to follow all COVID-19 policies and requirements set out by the Ministry of Health, their school, and Rockquest Promotions.
17. Act members cannot be replaced, substituted or added after your first performance.
18. If your live performance is electronically assisted, you need to indicate this on your entry form. In addition, all electronic elements need to be the original work(s) of one or more of the entered members of the Act, and there must be at least one live instrumental part.
19. All lead vocal lines must be performed live.
20. All performed songs must be original – i.e., written exclusively by one or more act members.
21. A song can only be performed in one category: Band or Solo/duo, but not both.
22. If your entry has three (3) or more performers, you must enter the Band Category. If your entry has only one (1) performer, you must enter the Solo/duo category. If your entry has two performers, you must enter the solo/duo category unless one of the performers plays the drums, in which case you are to enter as a band. You can have a maximum of ten (10) band members.
23. Smokefree Tangata Beats acts must feature at least one of the cultural criteria elements in your performance. Please see www.smokefreetangatabeats.nz/how-it-worksJudging Process
23. Judging decisions will be based on discussion, industry experience and knowledge.
24. The Judges' decision will be final. No correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
Other Conditions & Requirements
25. All students must have the signature of their parent or guardian on the entry form, giving consent to us to release contestant information, images and recordings to media and sponsors, to send promotional material from the event organisers and sponsors, and to agree to all conditions of entry.
26. Entrants may be filmed and/or photographed at the event or elsewhere and included in the Smokefreerockquest/Smokefree Tangata Beats Webisodes, website, social media, and future promotional campaigns.
27. The Top 30 (Smokefreerockquest) and Top20 (Smokefree Tangata Beats) acts cannot sign a recording or management contract before 31 Dec 2024 without the prior written permission of Rockquest Promotions Ltd.
28. The Top 30 (Smokefreerockquest) and Top20 (Smokefree Tangata Beats are to allow one song to be included on a Rockquest Promotions 2024 Highlights compilation, which will be distributed free in 2025.
29. The national winners' music videos (Band and Solo/Duo categories) will be hosted exclusively on the Rockquest Promotions websites and social media pages.
30. Entrants are not permitted to submit songs for the National Final selection round, or at the National Final, that are entered in, have been entered in, or will be entered in other music competitions other than Rockquest Promotions Ltd events - Smokefreerockquest, Smokefree Tangata Beats, Showquest, OnScreen.
31. Entrants are not permitted to submit songs for the National Final selection round or at the National Final that are/or will be submitted for an NZ on Air Grant in this calendar year.
32. Entrants are not permitted to submit songs for the National Final selection round or at the National Final, where the songwriter (or any songwriters) is no longer part of the act.
33. The National Finalists agree to Rockquest Promotions Ltd. (or appointed agent) acting as their exclusive agent in all matters regarding recording and management contracts until 1 May 2025. The National Finalists cannot enter into a recording or management contract before this time without the permission of Rockquest Promotions Ltd.
34. The National Finalists agree that, if used as a guest band at a subsequent regional event, they will do so without charge (Rockquest Promotions Ltd will cover costs). The National Finalists agree to give Smokefreerockquest/Smokefree Tangata Beats up to two free National Final guest performances in future National Finals.
35. Contestants are required to gain approval from the organisers to use props, clothing or equipment bearing product branding of products other than those of our sponsors in their submissions. Permission will only be withheld if the organisers believe the security of the event sponsorship is at risk. This does not apply to the normal name branding appearing on musical instruments.
36. By virtue of entry, the entrant agrees to hold Smokefreerockquest/Smokefree Tangata Beats and its agents indemnified against any breach or infringement of copyright or rights held by any third party/parties, and the entrant undertakes to observe all such rights statutorily or otherwise. By virtue of entry, the entrant agrees to hold Smokefreerockquest/Smokefree Tangata Beats and its agents indemnified against any claim or liability for loss or accident resulting from any individual's involvement in the event.
37. All contestants will be notified if changes to these Terms and Conditions are required.
Thanks to the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Youth Development, we provide various mentoring and youth development opportunities for participants across Smokefreerockquest, Smokefree Tangata Beats, OnScreen and Showquest, tailored specifically to the platform.
This looks like (but it not limited to) written feedback from judges, face-to-face mentoring with industry professionals, recording in professional studios, professional PR media training, and additional activities that provide tangible pathways into the arts.
These unique enrichment opportunities support our young people's creative development and enable them to develop additional skills and leadership experience.
You have the option to use electronic assistance as part of your live performance. This means to use of Ableton Live, preloaded looping pedals and other similar supporting technology.
All acts must have at least one live instrument that is not vocals.
Please note that you will be triggering your backing track yourself from a DI on the stage. You’ll need to bring your own device to play this off.
All programmed/produced material must be the original work of one of the acts’ entrants. If you have a non-performing producer working with you, they must also be an entered member of the act (there is an electronic content producer option in the instrument list), and meet all conditions of entry.
Alongside the live regional events we have the option of competing in the 'Online region' - which works through video submission. The judges watch the videos and judge them as if it were a live show, and will select the winners in the same way.
Over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic we have been really grateful of the online region as a way of giving students who are unwell, self isolating, or waiting on test results and should not be attending live events, an alternative way of still competing. In this way - if you're sick you can contact us and we'll send you the details for the online region to compete instead of playing at your regional event. Please note that it is one or the other - either you perform live at your regional event, or you send a video submission in for the online region - you cannot do both options.
Solo/duos - if you're also entering in a band, you MUST compete in this online region.
Acts can choose to enter in this region or change to this region at any time up to their first performance, if a band member becomes unwell, is at greater risk from COVID-19 infection, or is directed to self-isolate.
The APRA Award is for lyrics, and is judged separately from any video submissions – so you do not need to be in a band or solo-duo entering in Smokefreerockquest or Smokefree Tangata Beats in order to enter for the Lyric Writers Award. If you are submitting a video as a performer though, you can submit any lyrics you like – they do not need to be the lyrics of a song you have performed (but of course they can be!). A winner will be selected from within each region, and then a national APRA Lyric Writers Award winner will be selected.
Well, that’s how Smokefree Tangata Beats works this year. Go out there and practice, practice, practice….write, write, write. It will be worth it. It’s better to be prepared…you’ll have a heap more fun. Remember – if you don’t win it’s not the end of the world, some of the biggest names in New Zealand music haven’t won Smokefree Tangata Beats, but they have used it as a time and place to learn, develop, and refine their craft and skills.