SMOKEFREE TANGATA BEATS TERMS & CONDITIONS 202
1. All contestants must be enrolled in and attend a school for at least 15 hours a week. If you leave school during the course of the competition, you become ineligible to continue. You can change schools during the competition. (School means secondary, area, intermediate, primary or correspondence school.)
2. All contestants must be no older than 19 (nineteen) years of age on 3rd May 2023 (you may be asked to supply proof of eligibility).
3. Smokefree Tangata Beats is for unsigned acts and individuals only. You cannot enter if you have signed a recording or management contract, and cannot sign during the competition without the prior written approval of Rockquest Promotions Ltd.
4. No student can enter in more than one Smokefree Tangata Beats band OR more than one Solo-duo. (You can enter in a Band AND a Solo/duo if the Solo/duo is submitted by video for the Online Region.)
5. No student can enter into a category (Solo/Duo OR band) that they have already received 1st place in at a previous Smokefree Tangata Beats National Final.
6. Acts must compete in the region their school is closest to, or in the Online (video submission) Region.
7. Where an act represents multiple schools, it must compete in the region closest to the school the majority of members’ attend.
8. There is an Online (video submission) Region for 2023. Any band can elect to compete via this region, or change to this region at any time prior to their first performance, where one or more performers is unwell, at higher risk, or subject to self isolation as per NZ Govt Covid-19 Protection Framework.
9. Bands and Solo/duos will not be allowed to compete in incorrect or multiple regions.
10. If you are entered in a band, and wish to enter in a Solo/duo also, the Solo/duo must be entered in the Online Region and submitted by video.
11. Smokefree supports Smokefree Tangata Beats and Smokefreerockquest allows emerging musicians to play their songs to crowds throughout the country. Because you are the essence of these events, we ask that you respect their smokefree status. Band names, song lyrics and titles, and clothing cannot contain smoking, e-cigarette, vaping or tobacco product references or depictions. By entering this competition, all entrants are making a declaration of their smokefree and vape free status at the event, and will be required to sign the following declaration at the Regional events. “As an entrant, I understand that for interviews, Regional and National submissions and events, press conferences, and Webisodes, or media appearances, it is a requirement for me to be smokefree. If I, or any of my group members, fail to comply with this declaration, it will result in the group’s immediate exclusion from all parts of this event.”
12. The use or possession of alcohol, cigarettes or illegal drugs by any group member at any Smokefree Tangata Beats event, or in any video submission, will result in the instant disqualification of their entire group.
13. At Smokefree Tangata Beats, you are representing your school. Therefore you must adhere to your school’s policies regarding behaviour in public. If in doubt, seek the guidance of your teachers.
14. Any entrant defacing or destroying Smokefree Tangata Beats property or property/venues used by Smokefree Tangata Beats will be disqualified and held accountable for damages. This includes P.A. equipment; recording studios, event venues, as well as any place used for photo shoots or interviews e.g. radio stations.
15. Smokefree Tangata Beats does not condone censorship. Smokefree Tangata Beats does support the NZ music industry and therefore urges entrants to consider the commercial potential of the material they write. While not wanting to put constraints on the creative process of songwriters we would like to point out that sexually explicit lyrics or lyrics that may offend may not have commercial potential and therefore may not suit this competition. Judges for this event are drawn from the NZ music industry. Entrants are urged to consider this point carefully.
16. All acts will be required to follow all COVID-19 policies and requirements as set out by the Ministry of Health, their school, and Rockquest Promotions.
17. Performance requirements are subject to change depending on the government's Covid-19 regulations at the time.
18. Act members cannot be changed or added after your first performance.
19. All lead vocal lines and at least one instrumental part must be performed live. If your live performance is electronically assisted, you need to indicate this on your entry form.
20. All electronic elements need to be the original work of one of the entered members of the act.
21. All performed songs must be original – ie: written exclusively by one or more members of the act.
22. When submitting an entry video via the Online Region, bands are to submit two songs, and Solo/duos are to submit one song.
23. A song can only be performed in one category; either Band or Solo/duo, but not both.
24. If your SFTB entry has three (3) or more performers, you must enter the Band Category. If your SFTB entry has only one (1) performer, you must enter the Solo/duo category. If your SFTB entry has two performers, you must enter the Solo/duo category unless one of the performers plays drum kit, in which case you are to enter as a band. You can have a maximum of ten (10) band members.
25. Judging decisions will be based on discussion, their industry experience and knowledge.
26. The Judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
OTHER CONDITIONS & REQUIREMENTS
27. All students must have the signature of their parent or guardian on the entry form, giving consent to us to release contestant information, images and recordings to media and sponsors, consenting to receiving event related promotional material from the event organisers and sponsors, and agreeing to all conditions of entry.
28. Entrants may be filmed and/or photographed at the event and be included as part of the Smokefree Tangata Beats Webisodes, website, social media, and Future promotional campaigns.
29. The Top 20 acts cannot sign a recording or management contract before 31 Dec 2023 without the prior written permission of Rockquest Promotions Ltd.
30. Entrants are not permitted to perform songs for the National Final selection round, or at the National Final, that are entered in, have been entered in, or will be entered in other music competitions except Smokefreerockquest, or submitted for NZ on Air Funding grants, in this calendar year.
31. Entrants are not permitted to submit songs for the National Final selection round or at the National Final, where the songwriter (or any of the songwriters) is no longer part of the act.
32. The National Finalists agree to Rockquest Promotions Ltd. (or appointed agent) acting as their exclusive agent in all matters regarding recording and management contracts until 1 May 2024. The National Finalists cannot enter into a recording or management contracts before this time, without the permission of Smokefree Tangata Beats.
33. The National Finalists agree that, if used as a guest band at a subsequent regional event, will do so without charge. (Costs will be covered by SFTB) The National Finalists agree to give SFTB up to two free National Final guest performances in future National Finals.
34. Contestants are required to gain approval from the organisers to use props, clothing or equipment bearing product branding of products other than those of our sponsors on stage. Approval will not be withheld unless the organisers believe the security of the event sponsorship is at risk. This does not apply to the normal name branding appearing on musical instruments.
35. By virtue of entry the entrant agrees to hold Smokefree Tangata Beats and its agents indemnified against any breach or infringement of copyright or rights held by any third party/parties, and the entrant undertakes to observe all such rights statutory or otherwise. By virtue of entry the entrant agrees to hold Smokefree Tangata Beats and it‘s agents indemnified against any claim or liability for loss or accident resulting from any individual’s involvement in the event.
36. If any further changes to the Conditions of Entry are required to comply with any changing Covid-19 regulations, all contestants will be notified.